Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Dear child...

We arrived in Nashville last night and received a phone call from home. One of the dear kids that I love SO much decided that he wasn't very lovable and tried to take his own life. And here we are, far from home, and unable to be present during this hard time... all I can do is pray, send a quick text message, and call my co-leaders to step in to the situation and love this family and this dear child during this hard time. He will be alright - he is alive, he is safe, and he is now surrounded by people who are speaking truth to him.

This is a tangible way that God is showing me that once Jer and I have to leave Faith that He will take care of our kids. This is and has been my prayer since we got the news about Jer's job - that the Lord will provide people to love our kids well, and that He will bring people into the ministry to take care of them. In our absence, while we are in Nashville, the body is responding to the need, praying for the hurting, and responding with love and compassion.

But it also makes me ask... where were we before? Were we responding to the need, praying for the hurting and responding with love and compassion before this act of desperation happened? Were we loving this dear child in the way he needed? Did he know, does he know, how infinitely loved and infinitely special he is? Maybe, but maybe not. And as a church, as a body, I think we can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment